So I decided to go through the Top 40 and to see how many songs I thought were good and how many were bad. When I realised how long this would take I cut it back to just the top 10!
- At number one is Jennifer Lopez featuring a dog apparently, well “Pitbull”. Quite catchy music but I’m not a fan.
- Two is Adele and Someone Like You. A beautiful song, no auto-tune rubbish here. It’s been around for a while since it was sung at the BRITS and apparently it is in fact “the longest reigning number one single in the UK of the decade so far”.
- Apparently LMFAO is an artist. They read this name out on radio as well despite it being an acronym for a rather rude phrase. The song, Party Rock Anthem, is trying hard on the featuring front with both Lauren Bennett and “Goonrock” making appearances. I wouldn’t choose to listen to this, that said it doesn’t particularly annoy me.
- The Black Eyed Peas with “Just Can’t Get Enough” which always makes me think of the Depeche Mode song of the same name when I see it written down. I like this.
- Don’t Hold Your Breath by Nicole Scherzinger. It’s catchy and alright.
- Quite why you would choose the pseudonym Wiz Khalifa when your real name is Cameron Jibril Thomaz I don’t know. Patrick Chukwuemeka Okogwu as Tinie Tempah is acceptable because the majority of radio DJs will not be able to pronounce the Nigerian surname but Wiz – as in piss? Khalifa – as in the Al-Khalifa family from Bahrain of call-in-the-Saudi-army to crush protesters fame? Really!? The song appears to be about oil and sand or something. Yuk.
- First shock comes when I see that Jessie J is white, wasn’t expecting that from the music! Didn’t like Do It Like a Dude but this one, Price Tag, is better. Acceptable. And Bob? No don’t know him.
- Katy B with Broken Record. I think the record is broken, wish they wouldn’t play it. Dislike.
- Someone finally seems to have told Rihanna what her name is thank god. This is much better than What’s My Name. Catchy chorus I dare not listen any more carefully to decipher the lyrics given its title “S&M (Come On)”. Alright.
- Dr Dre needs a doctor so what does he do? Phones up Eminem and Skylar Grey and gets them to sing bits on his record. Seriously? I know you have to pay for stuff like that in the States but given he earned $52 million in 2001 from selling a share in a record label I’d figure he could afford some insurance. I like some of Eminem’s stuff and this edges it towards that category.
In summary 3 likes, 4 alrights and 3 dislikes. Also: 6 American, 3 British, 1 Barbadian.
You can find a list of the Top 40 UK singles and listen to short clips of them so you know what the songs actually sound like here.